Secrets behind Cinnamond

Alea Barry, Staff Writer

Mr. John Cinnamond is the current AP European History and one of the current World History I teachers at Kempsville High School. He’s been teaching for 17 years, first at Landstown High School and now Kempsville.

Mr. Cinnamond decided to be a teacher because of a conversation he had with Dr. Tonnelson, the former principal of Kempsville High. He was somewhat close with Dr. Tonnelson, whose son he coached in baseball. Cinnamond was a Political Science major in college, which led him to teach social studies courses at the high school level. His political science background is demonstrated through his TV choices. Cinnamond enjoys watching all of the NCIS shows, designated survivor, and Hawaii 5-0. He stated that he watches the new version of Hawaii 5-0 “because [he] watched the old one.”

Cinnamond lives in Virginia Beach now, but he grew up in New Jersey. His childhood dream was to be an astronaut and travel into space. Because he is a practical thinker, Cinnamond considered going into aerospace engineering while he was in high school. However, when he went to college, he found his interest was political science. Cinnamond’s favorite part of college was the “college athletic experience where time management was huge.”

Cinnamond said that, before he dies, he wants to “see a great white shark up close” because “that’ll be cool [and] life-altering.”

He also wants to play golf at Augusta National and travel the world to see the history behind it. When asked what he would do with 1 million dollars, Cinnamond said he would have “houses in Hilton Head, SC and Florida.” He would make the Florida house is permanent residence because there is no tax, another demonstration of his practicality.

His biggest accomplishment in life is having his three children. In fact, the last gift he gave to anyone was to his children. He bought them all t-shirts from Disneyland. Cinnamond is proud of his kids and talks about them frequently. He listens to all types of music because of his kids. A perfect day to Cinnamond is “breakfast with the family, 18 holes of golf, lunch with the family, 18 more holes of golf, sporting event with the family, and dinner with the family.”

Cinnamond said, “just you and the [golf] course, it’s quiet.”

He enjoys the peaceful things in life, which he finds in Hilton Head, SC. He described the town as rustic because there are no lights. There are laws that prohibit excessive urbanization because of the native sea turtles. The beauty of Hilton Head is that “it’s quiet.”