Dear Lack of Motivation

Dear Poppy design created by Sydney Haulenbeek.

Poppy, Advice Columnist

Dear Poppy,

This year school has been severely hard for me. Online school has been a hassle and I procrastinate so much. I currently have 10 missing assignments. I don’t get anything done and my grades are dropping tremendously. It’s been taking a toll on my whole being. I’m usually an A student, but right now they’re dropping to B’s and C’s. I tried changing my work environments and listening to music to focus better, but nothing has worked. For the upcoming semester, I want to do better, but I don’t have the drive to do so. What can I do to lessen the procrastination? How can I push myself forward? How do I better myself and my grades?

—Lack of Motivation

Dear Lack of Motivation,

You’re not alone in this problem. Being in quarantine has caused many students to lose their motivation. The main solution is to hold yourself accountable and improve your time management skills. Set self-imposed deadlines and reward yourself when you complete them. I find it very helpful to work in small increments rather than complete all your assignments in one sitting. Doing so can cause burnout which poorly affects your mental health.

If you have a friend with a similar problem, try being each other’s academic cheerleader. Remind each other to complete assignments instead of procrastinating. However, the buddy system only works if both are willing to put in the work.

I also find it helpful to simply take a step back and relax. Choose a day for self-care and practice activities that make you happy. Use this day to recharge your mental and emotional health. Then you’ll be better equipped to take on your coursework. But if all else fails, talk to your teacher about your stress. A teacher’s job is to help you, so don’t be afraid to reach out.

I wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

—Poppy <3