Season Recap: Winter Sports

Hannah Schwarz, Staff Writer

Revisit the winter sports season with team histories and season commentary served up with zest by The Treaty’s lead sportswriter.

Wrestling:

This year’s wrestling team is a young one, but they have so far been successful, winning third at the Richmond Invitational, and second place at the Raider Duals at Atlee High School. The team has high hopes for upcoming competition at conference, regional, and state levels this February, with their first conference dual on January 22nd against Princess Anne and Kellam High Schools. That will take place right here at Kempsville. This season, the team focused on hard work and dedication. “The coaches are trying to instill in all of us, as a team, the importance of pushing past one’s breaking point and finding a way to keep going” senior Kyle Luchau said.

Girl’s Swimming:

“Our season is going pretty good,” says junior Allie Christison, “A lot of our swimmers have dropped time so far which is really good.” In a sport where your individual accomplishments affect the whole team, they’ve all been working hard to improve overall in strength and technique in order to get faster in the pool. And it’s working! They won their December 13th meet against Salem 176-105 and are hoping for more victories in their upcoming meets against Green Run, Cox, and Bayside. However the girls are focusing more on personal gains and becoming a threat in the new conference. “As a team, we focus less on whether we win or lose and more on how much improvement we’re making,” says senior Casey Smith “We’ve had a great first half of the season and I can’t wait to see how far we go!”

Boy’s Swimming:

This season has been no easy ride for boy’s swim. It’s been a season of hard work and mental toughness. Every swimmer set personal time goals at the beginning of the season in order to do some overall improvement for themselves and for the team. They compete every Friday at 7:30 and have high hopes for a win On January 10th against Green Run at the Kempsville Rec Center. Looking forward to year’s team, senior Alex Salvato says “A general goal is to practice hard this season and get into the pool in the off season so that next year, we’ll have a better chance of getting people to districts and regionals.”

Gymnastics:

The Chief gymnasts this year are overcoming a challenge. Make that challenges. Injuries abounded this season: a hurt back, sprained groin and abdominal muscle, and an injured elbow. Despite all that, they had a good season. They won their first meet against Princess Anne and Salem High Schools and have qualified to go to conference championships. They’re looking forward to their last meet at 6:00 on February 2nd at Bayside High School.

Girl’s Basketball:

Another young team this year is Girl’s Basketball. This year, the team is working on discipline and harnessing their potential. They’ve struggled with several injuries among their starters but in their upcoming games, hope to maintain focus.  “Our main goals are to keep a positive mind and take it one game at a time,” senior Joi Settles said. As the only senior on the team, she says she feels a responsibility to help guide her teammates. The girls are aiming to make playoffs this year.

Boy’s Basketball:

Boy’s basketball is also working hard this season in an effort to harness their potential. They’ve had a rough start to the season but with several games still scheduled, they have plenty of time to turn things around. And that’s just what they hope to do. Senior and team captain, Clay Dorsett says “We are starting to build more chemistry and grow stronger as a team by figuring out each other’s roles on the team.”