K-Pop in Kempsville: BTS

Michaea Woodlard, freshman, holding a plushie of ‘RJ’ – BT21 merch designed by Jin of the K-Pop group BTS.

Sydney Haulenbeek, Editor in Chief

In 2012 K-Pop made its big break in the west with PSY’s hit Gangnam Style. Glaringly different from the well-manufactured bubblegum pop that normally floods the Korean music industry, it became the first video on YouTube to reach two billion views.

Since then, K-Pop has begun popping up in the charts more and more – currently, 6 out of the top 10 of Billboard’s ‘Social 50’ artists are K-Pop groups – but this has stemmed from a different success, that of a group dubbed BTS in English, a rough translation of Bangtan Sonyeondan, or “Bulletproof Boyscouts.”  

BTS is a Korean boy group made up of 7 members: Jin, Suga, RM, J-Hope, V, Jimin, and the “golden maknae,” a term of endearment for the youngest member in K-Pop groups, Jungkook. The group, which had been popular in Korea since their debut in 2013, began gaining serious traction in America in 2017 when they won Billboard’s Top Social Artist award, ending Justin Bieber’s 7-year winning streak.

BTS in the LG x BTS marketing campaign. From left to right: RM, V, Jimin, Jungkook, Jin, Suga and J-Hope.

In 2018 so far, they have made the international cover of TIME, who dubbed them “Next Generation Leaders,” and they gave a speech at the United Nations Assembly ahead of their involvement in UNICEF’s project ‘Generation Unlimited’ in which their leader, RM, said:  “No matter who you are or where you’re from, your skin color, your gender identity, speak yourself.”

BTS on the October 22, 2018 cover of TIME International.

Their influence has become global, with their fans, dubbed the BTS ARMY, helping them achieve success, and their message has made its way into Kempsville.

Ella Aussey, freshman, said that prior to BTS, she had never had a role model, and that “they’ve definitely helped a lot,” especially as they talk about social issues.  

“I like other music groups, but they don’t necessarily speak about the same things. Like EXO,” another successful K-Pop group whom she also loves “- compared to BTS they don’t speak about issues that are as personal.”

Aussey also feels that BTS’ relationship with fans, whom they credit with every award they have received, has helped grow their audience and set them apart from western artists.

“They’re just more personal.”

Michaea Woodlard, who is proudly displaying a ‘The most beautiful moment in life’ BTS shirt, said she started to get into BTS two years ago.

“They help you love yourself and acknowledge that you’re you,” said Woodlard. “And you can’t change that, so you might as well just love yourself.”

Tiana Coley, who is also an ARMY and who enjoys other K-Pop groups, such as SEVENTEEN and EXO, reinforced this idea.

“They’re telling you to love yourself.”