The student newspaper of Kempsville High School

The Treaty

The Treaty

The Treaty

The New World of Mean Girls

Photo Credit: IMDb
Photo Credit: IMDb

The world of Mean Girls was re-introduced to the world this January.  The new film was released as a musical and with a hint more of technology. Just like before, this new film brings laughter with comforting reminders of its predecessor. 

The PG-13 film captivated a large audience with its new take on the remaking of Mean Girls, and brought fifty million dollars in at the box office, according to Rotten Tomatoes. Audiences were met with old faces like Tina Fey but also met new faces playing the iconic Mean Girl roles like Renee Rapp, Christopher Briney, and Angourie Rice.

Mean Girls rebranded itself while maintaining respect for the original franchise and musical play of Mean Girls. Audiences noted the changes have been fitting as they reflect the time of 2024 and shift away from the 2004 culture. 

Writer of You Can’t Dilute the Core Message of Mean Girls, Louis Staples considers the 2000s a Golden Era of high school movies and points out one of the main differences is, “The new film is updated to reflect how teens communicate today, mostly on smartphones.”  

However, the new ways of communication are not the only new addition to the film. Many watchers were surprised to find out the new film is a musical. This comes as the movie makers tried to combine the 2004 film with the Mean Girls Broadway Musical. 

Staples explained since the movie is based “on the successful stage musical, might be why the new film feels much more ‘family friendly’.” when addressing why some parts of the movie seem tamer or absent from the original film. 

With the changes being a musical and setting, it seems more fitting that the content has become more calmer. Since 2004, the No Bullying Movement has happened, and while high school still has its ups and downs, it’s no longer a place to be straight-up mean. 

Mean Girls 2024 has moments of “Wait, is this a backhanded compliment? Is she actually being kind?” which more accurately reflects the culture of today. Characters were no longer marked with “cool vs uncool” labels, but rather just their cliques because it is a high school movie. Mean Girls 2024 perfectly represented being in high school, outside of its comedic moments of breaking out into songs. 

The message, however, stays the same. The insight into how girlhood does not require judgment of others, but rather acceptance of what makes people different: from someone’s style, likes, or lifestyles. 

Staples reminded readers that, “The misogyny of high school was the main villain in the original Mean Girls. 

The film made astute observations about slut-shaming, navigating the “girl world,” popularity vs. notoriety, 

and how women are continually pitted against each other.” 

Just like its predecessor, the film maintains the message of girlhood and girls supporting girls. Mean Girls was able to

successfully deliver the iconic moments while grasping the audience’s attention with the new, added elements.