The student newspaper of Kempsville High School

The Treaty

The Treaty

The Treaty

Get Out & Go Watch the New Dune II !

In March of 2024, the newly released Dune Part II once again captivated audiences with its foreign world as the power struggle continued in the desert planet Arrakis.
IMB
IMB

Dune Part II follows Paul Atreides on his journey of fighting against all odds to win back his titles and rights for his people. Dune has been marked as one of the most recognizable Sci-Fi from the novels to the movies, and it shows in the seats.

Like any book-to-movie adaptation, there were noticeable differences, so if you read the books expect some changes. Some of the most notable changes were the lack of time jumps and the speeding up of events.  

This has thrown off some fans who fell in love with the original movies and books, and some may feel disappointed with the changes. Although some hope these changes should make some sense in the Dune the Messiah after it all comes together.  

While it may be known all over by fans, Dune Part II did not disappoint its audiences. According to Rotten Tomatoes, at the box office, Dune brought in $157.2 million with an audience score of 95 percent.

Fans, for the most part, left happily with the performance. From the performances, sound effects, and aesthetics of the film, fans were blown away by the beauty of Dune.

Writer Erik Kain, of ‘Dune Part 2’ Review: Gorgeous, Awe, – Inspiring and Hallow wrote from his experience, “It’s one that you really must see on the biggest, best screen you can find, preferably in a theater with really great sound. The seats were shaking at some points. There is so much spectacle here, it’s a little overwhelming at times.”

Feeling overwhelmed can be an understatement for this movie. Coming in at 2 hours and 43 minutes, there is never a dull moment with its powerful dialogue to the well-directed battle scenes, leaving the audience feeling like they were right there next to the characters.

Kempsville senior, Porter Rohlfs describes the overall experience as “immaculate, and then the sound on top of it, you felt immersed. On the screen when something would happen, the left speaker would make the noise. You felt like you were there. It was beautiful.” 

Dune Part II also held many blockbuster names that brought a beautiful performance onto the screen. With Timothee Chalamet playing the main character Paul and Zendaya playing love-interest Chani accompanied by appearances of Florence Pugh and Austin Butler, the younger audiences were entranced with watching actors of their generation perform. 

Dune Part II has experienced incredible levels of ‘hype’ because the talented Dune team from directors to actors and actresses bring the iconic sci-fi to life, leaving the audience with no other choice but to watch. So, if you are looking for something to do over this Spring Break, go watch the beautiful film Dune Part II. It won’t disappoint!