Bathroom Pass Policy Remains Unpopular

Sydney Haulenbeek

A Kempsville High School bathroom pass from the second semester of the 20-2019 school year.

Julius Bastien, Staff Writer

The policy that began during the 2017-2018 school year mandates that students are required to carry a signed, school-issued pass with them when they leave during class to go to the bathroom or to another classroom. These passes, which are issued during the beginning of the school year and at the semester, are printed on cardstock, varying in color, and have a total of about 70 spaces.

When asking students and even a few staff members how they feel about it, it seems not very many students are fans of the new pass.

“I don’t really like them,” Kristopher Meeks, senior, said of the new passes. He also said he preferred older passes and didn’t want to pay to get a new one when the page filled up.

When the sheet is filled, students are encouraged to buy another one for a dollar in the main office, as passes are only readministered during the semester change.

Nicholas Diaz, sophomore, gave his opinion, saying that he feels “they should be more lenient on the passes” as “you can’t go anywhere without them” and students are no longer allowed to carry the yellow passes from the previous semester.  

David Springstead, a security assistant who regularly walks the halls, voiced his opinion on the passes saying, ”I think there’s a better way to do them.”

However,  school officials consider this pass to be more efficient and prefer it.

Ms. Kimble, office manager, said that she likes it because it is cleaner, as students have their own pass personal pass rather than one shared among classes.  

It also allows for the administration and security staff to keep track of students, see constant excusal patterns, and encourage them to remain in class.

”It lets me keep track of their history and where they are going,” said Mr. Johnson,  assistant principal.