The student newspaper of Kempsville High School

The Treaty

The Treaty

The Treaty

A remarkable group of young women make their mark at Kempsville High School through the Women in Literature Club

Meet the passionate Women in Literature club members, a dynamic collective of women who come together to explore the vast world of written expression.

One of the primary objectives of the club is to shine a spotlight on female authors and their contributions to literature. By delving into work by renowned writers, members gain insight into the diverse experiences, triumphs, and struggles of women across different eras and cultures. establishing a supportive environment where all opinions are heard and respected. Through open discussion and critical analysis, they develop a deeper appreciation and understanding of literature and the impact it has had on modern-day society.

Sophia Ngo, a member of the Women in Literature Club, states that she, “didn’t realize how many older books and articles women have written because, especially in school, we don’t go into women’s literature.”

“Traditionally men mostly write it. But you rarely ever see any women no matter their race or ethnicity.”

This organization reaches farther than the confines of reading and analyzing texts, it acts as a catalyst for personal growth and empowerment among its members. Taking pride in embracing diversity and promoting inclusion, the participants actively seek out and explore works by authors with various backgrounds. 

By celebrating diverse voices, they broaden their member’s perspectives and foster a sense of acceptance and understanding. Through their activities, these young women gain confidence in their abilities, develop a sense of agency, and learn the importance of using their voices to positively impact their community.

Ms. Green, the club advisor, mentions, “ Anybody can join the club. The reading that we chose is based on what people want to read, which usually represents the group. Anyone can contribute to the conversation, and I try to look at issues from multiple perspectives, whether it concerns race, gender, or socioeconomic status.”

The impact of the women in literature club extends beyond its members, by sharing their passion for literature, these high schoolers become advocates for those whose voices are silenced in the literary field.

Ngo commented, “I wish we learned about minority voices and their impact in the school system more, but it broadened my understanding because I realized that there is so much more to what we learn in school.” 

Beyond the academic benefits, the club provides a nurturing environment where students can forge deep connections with their peers and develop a strong sense of self through the exploration of various perspectives. This not only cultivates a love for literature but also equips the members with the creativity and confidence to navigate complexities outside of the club.

“I’ve gotten to know people I wouldn’t usually interact with, I may see them in class or around the halls but I wouldn’t take the time to get to know them,” Ngo added.

“But hearing them talk about something as important as literature for women, that’s made me more open to talking to my peers because I know more about them. It’s even made it easier for me to open up to other classmates because we might not have the same interests, but we can create common interests just as I did in this club.”

These astounding women are shaping the future of literature and engaging with the wider community, while also empowering themselves along the way. As they continue to inspire others and conquer new literary frontiers, their journey serves as a reminder that the written word can transcend boundaries, challenge stereotypes, and pave the way for a more inclusive and equitable society.