The student newspaper of Kempsville High School

The Treaty

The Treaty

The Treaty

KHS Film Club Reaching New Heights

Sara Garcia

In the 2023-2024 year, Film Club is reaching for new heights and, for the first time, will be producing a short film.

This year the Film Club has multiple short film opportunities coming their way, which is evident in their weekly meetings. 

They are focusing on producing videos for promoting prom with the Class of 2024. To the club, this means unity to form a product that represents Kempsville High. 

There are outside organizations that the Film Club is working with to secure opportunities that might be able to help achieve this new goal of putting together a successful short film. 

As the club focuses on creating a screenplay, meetings are geared towards learning about how to create one. To provide additional help, they show videos and provide handouts that guide formatting a screenplay. 

Resources from a variety of topics are shared from a Google folder to help inspire them to start dabbling in screenwriting.  

To make a short film, there is a need for students to join and help out. Film Club is welcoming any student who is looking to join to learn more about filmmaking.  

Advisor, Ms. Green believes in the Film Club ability to product a short film: “you don’t need experience or anything else. You just need a hand and a body.” 

Outside of the technical nitty gritty of Film Club, members positively engage together to share their experiences with screenplays and where they’re at in writing. Some of them have written a few screenplays while some have never written a screenplay in their life. 

Member, Sophia Ngo, shared, “you get to be with like-minded people who enjoy film and enjoy the atmosphere of learning new things.”

There are many moving parts that go into starting a screenplay. Everybody matters the club, and just being involved makes a difference.

Ian Jones, member of Film Club, encourages those looking to join because, “No matter your prior skills or knowledge, Film Club is all about learning together and sharing in a common interest.” 

Film Club is about being able to collaborate together on a creative outlet. Members are excited about the fact that their creative outlet has turned into an opportunity to make an impact on Kempsville High School.