Student Movement Takes a Stand Against Increased In-School Violence

Athena Zengewald, Staff Writer

During the first semester in the 2017 to 2018 school year, there were 6 fights and 13 students suspended. During the first semester of the 2018 to 2019 semester, that number has jumped to 8 fights and 24 suspensions.

“I believe that the main cause of fights is that students get each other instigated and fuming, then don’t recognize the severe consequences to be faced,” said Meghan Timlin, academy coordinator.

Catherine Benedict, sophomore, has noticed students getting increasingly aggressive towards one another and fears that the school will take the zero-tolerance policy to another level.

“I really hope they don’t [take away One Lunch]. If you want to fight, at least do it outside of school. Don’t punish other people because [you] don’t know how to act.” Benedict reported that hallways are the regular scene for physical fights to commence, but she has seen one appear in the bathroom.

Zoe Madden, junior, recalls that fights also frequent in the bus loop as well as the courtyard. This means that there isn’t necessarily a designated “fight spot.”

Alyzabeth Bridgham, freshman, says that “Bathrooms are out of control and they need monitoring from the teachers because students are starting to meet up in the bathroom, throwdown, and not get in trouble or at least help from a teacher. Kids don’t wanna get caught, but they want help.”

Bridgham doesn’t enjoy violence and hates that it’s a daily occurrence now. That’s why she suggested that teachers start broadening their routes leading to the boys’ and girls’ bathrooms.

Students feel that the next step is to squash the need for violence.

Evan Nied, a freshman in the EBA, insists that whether there is a rumor, an odd corralling of kids, or students simply arguing, anyone can intervene and ask what the problem is and seek peaceful ways to solve it.

“You can tell when a fight is going to happen because groups rally up, and people start yelling and recording,” Benedict adds.

“I am sick and tired of the violence in society,” Nied said. “I’m just not going to [sit and do nothing] anymore. I want it to end, and I want it to start here, at our school. As President Andrew Jackson famously said, “Peace, above all things, is to be desired.” That’s why I’m starting the #ChiefLoveNotHate movement.”

“We need to unite, and what better way is there to get together and show our support than a meme?  We are just the people to do it. I’m restless now because of all this hatred. Now is the time to beat it.”

The tag #ChiefLoveNotHate is active on Instagram, as well as the @ChiefLoveNotHate profile, created by Nied.