Clubbed to death: the crisis of the over-involved student

Junior+Emily+OConnor+is+involved+in+five+clubs+and+enjoys+every+minute+of+it.+

Maddie Pearman

Junior Emily O’Connor is involved in five clubs and enjoys every minute of it.

Jordan Christie and Madison Pearman

The halls of Kempsville High School are flooded with colorful propaganda-style posters advertising different clubs and organizations to join. With over fifty clubs, publications, organizations, and other various activities, it’s easy to become overwhelmed. They vary from the academic Chemistry club to hobby based clubs like The Quibbler.

The overly-booked Emily O’Connor is an active club and organization advocate. As of right now, O’Connor is in five clubs and cherishes the relationships she builds with her peers. Although the perks of “clubbing” yourself to death exist, O’Connor drowns herself in meetings, projects, and events. Struggling to stay afloat some days, she just tries the best she can to satisfy each group by managing her time wisely.

“I would much rather be busy 95% of the time than be sitting around with nothing to do,” said O’Connor.

New to Kempsville High School this year is junior Callie Dunham. School has only been in session for roughly three months and she has already become a huge participant in many clubs. A member of SCA and YoungLife, Dunham says making new friends was the major incentive of becoming involved. Her favorite extra-curricular activity is SCA due to being able help give back to KHS however she can. If Callie had to join one club, Spanish Honor Society would top the list.

Mr. Wolf, the Student Activities Coordinator, is the one to talk to if a club is being started. He requires at least ten or more students to start a club and a teacher sponsor. Wolf approves all of the stages and then the club goes into making a constitution and beginning its activities. Being a former club member during his time in high school, Mr. Wolf is a huge supporter of our school’s clubs and does all he can to stimulate interest in them. He makes sure the clubs are not only doing the activity that they came together to do but also making the school and community a better place by helping them find ways to give back.

Students shouldn’t be nervous to go out and find a club or team they are interested in because our school’s organizations are always looking for new members and everyone is bound to find something that peaks their interest. Mrs. Danner, a KHS guidance counselor believes that clubs and teams are what bring a school together by driving school spirit and making the time spent here during and after classes more enjoyable. Danner is an advocate for school clubs and helping students get involved in extracurricular activities. She strongly believes that “people should feel that they are part of something,” and that is exactly what clubs offer.

There are a multitude of benefits in being a part of any school organization. Mrs. Danner mentioned the unity that clubs bring to a school and Mr. Wolf noted how much positivity clubs can bring to the community. Even though the amount of clubs can be overwhelming our school offers such a variety of activities that finding one to suit a certain interest is as easy as flipping through the student planner; so get to clubbing!