Kempsville Cycles in HP G7 Chromebooks

A G7 HP Chromebook that is active and was issued to a student. Please note that the page that it displays isn’t intended to represent or suggest any purchasing decisions made by VBCPS or DOT.

Chromebook usage has expanded greatly in VBCPS over the years. The introduction of new G7 Chromebooks is a part of a Department of Technology (DOT) attempt to reach a 1:1 ratio of student to Chromebook possession in grades one through twelve. DOT distributed approximately 19,000 additional Chromebooks to VBCPS through the summer, adding on to the more than 45,000 already in use in the school system, and Kempsville is no exception in Chromebook possession.  

At the beginning of the 2019 school year,  approximately 1,283 new G7 HP Chromebooks were issued to students at Kempsville, leaving teachers and some students with the G4 and G5 Chromebooks during the year-long issuing process.  

Despite the G7 Chromebook being new, Mr. Wiggins, the Technology Support Technician, said that there are no major differences other than the appearance. The new Chromebook still uses the same operating system version as the G4s and G5s and functions exactly the same way. The only two differences between the G7 and the older Chromebooks is that the charging port, which had previously been standard round electrical tips, is a Type-C USB port and that the G7s no longer have HDMI ports like the older Chromebooks.

Cate Benedict
The G7 Chromebook (right) and the G5 Chromebook (left) side by side comparison.

Although some students and teachers don’t have the G7, they don’t experience any differences besides the charging port.

“They … only have a different colored Chromebook with a different charging port,” said Wiggins. “That’s it. There is no reason why students cannot be great whether using a G7, G5, or a G4. All resources are still the same and available on any computer.”