New to Chief Trail: Y Street

Destini Harrell, Staff Writer

About 1,200 smokers die every day. That is about 443,000 deaths per year due to tobacco use. Childhood obesity is on the rise. Y Street, a new program to Kempsville, aims to reduce those numbers.

Y Street is Virginia’s largest youth-led movement that is aimed at tobacco and obesity issues. It empowers teenagers to take action and make a change for a healthier lifestyle. Y Street campaigns and projects help teens engage and get active by trying to find solutions to those issues.

Mr. Grant, Kempsville High School’s Y Street advisor, noted that it is important that the program is introduced to the school for awareness.

“Tobacco has a negative impact on social justice issues such as deforestation, malnutrition, and pollution,” Grant said, ”After tobacco, obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death. Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and tripled in adolescents in the past 30 years. Many factors contribute to obesity, and Y Street works to bring attention to them so we can create change and eliminate preventable health issues.”

Any student of Kempsville can be a Y Street member and cause social change in the community, state, and nationwide. Members have the opportunity to gain skills like public speaking, community service, and leadership while promoting a healthy way of life.

For more information or for an application, visit YStreet.org.