The student newspaper of Kempsville High School

The Treaty

The Treaty

The Treaty

Love at first bite: A cupcake review

Love at first bite: A cupcake review
Dahra Rexroad

Kroger is a grocery store that offers a variety of baked goods, including cupcakes. There are many different types and brands to choose from, and today we decided to put some to the test. The first type chosen is the Kimberly brand red velvet cupcake. The second type was also from the Kimberly brand, the flavor being triple chocolate cupcakes. Lastly, the third is a very popular miniature chocolate cupcake with circular sprinkles. 

Red velvet cupcake, Kimberly brand

Erin: At first glance, the cupcake looks very elegant. It has nicely piped white buttercream frosting. It has a smattering of red velvet cake crumb across the frosting, providing a sharp contrast. The frosting has a sugary taste, and is very rich and sweet. The actual cake is nice and light, with the iconic bright red of red velvet cupcakes. As a little surprise, these cupcakes have a piping of the frosting in the middle of the cupcake. A delicious, filling red velvet cupcake!

Dahra: The cupcake looks very appetizing and well put together. Love the extra red crumbs on top of the frosting. Easy to bite into. Nice little surprise of frosting in the middle of the cake! The cupcake does get very crumbly the more you bite into it; very messy. I would recommend eating it over a plate or napkin. It tastes pleasant and how you would expect a red velvet cupcake to taste: chocolatey. The cake is spongy; not too dry and not too moist. The buttercream frosting tastes delicious as well. Overall, a very delectable cupcake!

Big Chocolate cupcake, Kimberly brand

Erin: This cupcake looks very rich, with chocolate cupcake, chocolate frosting and chocolate sprinkles. The frosting was piped onto the cupcake, and it came in a pack of four. It is a rich chocolate flavor throughout the cupcake, with the chocolate sprinkles being real bits of chocolate sprinkled on top. The cake is moist, with a light structure and is very filling. Just a few bites of this cupcake might fill you up!

Dahra: Visually, the cupcake looks quite refined. The frosting is chocolate as well as the cake, but the frosting is far lighter than the sponge. The moisture of the cake is perfect as well. The taste of the frosting is very subtle, which works well with the chocolate in the cake; they work well together. The frosting almost tastes like a chocolate frosty from Wendy’s. This cupcake is a little messy, but not as messy as the red velvet one. All in all, it’s a very filling and tasty cupcake. 

Mini chocolate cupcakes, Kroger brand

Erin: The well-known and loved Kroger cupcakes are often seen at kids’ birthday parties, with its iconic chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles on top of the cupcake. These are miniatures, bite sized to be easier to eat. The chocolate frosting is light brown, with the circular sprinkles being haphazardly thrown on. The frosting is stiff, and less authentic tasting. It does taste of the sprinkles, which tend to taste similarly to plastic. However, when shoved in the mouth for one bite, it makes for a delicious dessert.

Dahra: This cupcake is made to require two bites max… but the majority of people just shovel it in their mouth and go about their day. This mini cupcake is great for gatherings and light desserts. You may need to eat two or three in order to fill up from these guys though. The larger chocolate cupcake tasted richer and was more suitable for formal gatherings, while the mini cupcakes will be seen more at laid back birthday parties. Mini cupcakes are also great for bringing in to school on birthdays since they’re simple and already have a bunch of them in each container. These mini cupcakes look less carefully decorated than the Kimberly brand ones; it’s easier to decorate larger delicacies. They still look visually appealing though. The frosting tastes as expected, same with the cake part. Altogether, the mini cupcakes are delicious, and best for informal occasions. 

Overall, the consensus is that the red velvet Kimberly brand cupcakes were the best, with the other Kimberly brand chocolate cupcake coming in second place. The miniature cupcakes are nostalgic, but the Kimberly brand just tasted and looked high quality.