The student newspaper of Kempsville High School

The Treaty

The Treaty

The Treaty

Baking an Unexpected Destresser

Photo Credit: Preppy Kitchen

GO! GO! GO! 

Nowadays we can see many people choosing busy schedules, which is a company by . After searching for an activity that is an effective way to unwind and find relief, one delightful and therapeutic escape is baking. Beyond the delicious outcome of baked goods, it has been proven to be an excellent form of stress relief, offering a unique blend of mindfulness, creativity, joy, distraction, and satisfaction. Let’s dive into the specifics of why baking has become a popular choice for those seeking a reprieve from the pressures of this life. 

The Art of Mindful Creation

Baking is art. An art that allows for a demand that focuses attention to detail. According to the article Baking and Mental Health, from measuring ingredients to following precise instructions; the process requires mindfulness. 

Engaging in mindful activities allows for individuals to shift focus away from stressors, and allows them to immerse themselves in the present moment. The rhythmic motions of kneading  dough to whisking batter can create an incredibly soothing atmosphere. 

Kaitlyn Calkin, Senior and baker here at Kempsville states, “It’s because it’s something that I can control the outcome of whatever I am making.”

A Therapeutic Outlet for Creativity

Right at one’s hands is a canvas for creativity. Baking allows individuals to experiment with various flavors, textures, and visual appeal to presentations. The simple act of creating a product is rewarding itself; it gives people something to look forward to. Having the freedom to self-express and source to channel emotions positively.

Even if the product doesn’t turn out like everything that one can hope and dream, the memories created along the way are something to cherish. 

Senior student and fellow baker, Sara Garcia, is able to be creative because she feels that she is partaking in an activity that has a “simple end goal in mind that is actually attainable.”

The Joy of Sharing

The simplistic act of sharing allows one to offer an opportunity to connect with others. Sharing handmade treats with family, friends, and neighbors adapts a sense of community and brings joy to the baker and the recipients. 

The Benefits of Baking: Experts say baking reduces stress and anxiety goes on to state that the act of giving is deeply fulfilling, provides a mood booster, and can create a ripple effect in gift giving. 

A baker and a Junior here at Kempsville, Brooke Bishop, states, “If maybe I give them something and make their day. Knowing that I can make that impact on someone else brings me joy. “

A Sensory Experience

The process of baking engages multiple senses, enhancing the overall experience. The article 5 Calming Scents promotes the idea that the aroma of freshly baked bread or cookies wafting through the kitchen can be incredibly comforting. The tactile sensations of kneading dough or rolling out pastry can provide a tactile release of pent up stress. Also there is this visual appeal that is added when the baked good is finally finished. 

A Delicious Distraction

Engaging in baking allows individuals to momentarily escape from the pressures of daily life. The focus required to follow a recipe and create something delicious provides a welcome distraction from stressors. The anticipation of a mouthwatering outcome can create a sense of excitement and anticipation, further diverting attention from worries and anxieties.

KHS Senior, Sara Garcia, states, “I mean I really like to bake, but I especially like to bake when I am stressed out, looking for something to take my mind off. You know, you take your mind off something and get some good food that brings comfort.”

Conclusion

Finding healthy and effective ways to destress is crucial, so one of the best things you could do is to bake more. Whether it’s the therapeutic process, the joy of sharing, or the sensory experience, baking offers a delicious path to stress relief. Your taste buds and your well-being will thank you.