The student newspaper of Kempsville High School

The Treaty

The Treaty

The Treaty

2023 Black Friday Deals

This year’s Black Friday sales were non-existent and less than it used to be
2023 Black Friday Deals

Black Friday day deals are lower than ever, compared to the pre-COVID Black Friday chaos which concluded in riots, fights, and insane deals. This Black Friday stores were prepared for fights, messes, and hundreds of people coming in and out for deals. But the Business did not expect what happened this year. 

Online shopping has been on the rise since the Pandemic. Now that it’s over businesses are transitioning back to in-person, while people are staying home and shopping online. A Kempsville high school student and teacher poll revealed that 66.7 percent of poll takers did online shopping.

According to the NY Times, lots of shoppers who are camping outside of the stores still aren’t even spending money on big-ticket items. A family who waited outside of Best Buy describes how they “didn’t want to commit to any big-ticket purchases,” getting a few simple discounted games. 

KHS librarian Mrs.Todd describes her preparation for Black Friday as “Back in the good old days after Thanksgiving dinner me and my cousins would clean up all the plates and dishes and we would make a game plan of what stores we wanted to go to.”

Mrs. Todd elaborates on how “We haven’t done the old school black Friday since 2019” stating that black Friday shopping was fun, but “Now our kids are older it just isn’t like that big rush anymore.”

“I would say my sales this year were not high then maybe 50-60 percent but no crazy deals like back in the day. My best deal was a toaster oven that I got for 9 dollars which originally cost around 45,” States Mrs.Todd

Kristin Taylor a culinary teacher at KHS states, “When I was in Grad school I worked at Best Buy. We had customers who got into a fistfight over a Black Friday Deal. Both were arrested and banned from our Best Buy because they not only fought but hurt an employee and broke three TVs during their altercation.”

Comparatively speaking TikTok influencer @IMCODYJACOB Points out how online and in-person shops either have fake deals or deals that constitute less than a few dollars off the item—with millions of now paying attention to multiple people in different states also recalling the same issues or loss of deals. 

Target, Walmart, Ulta, and other stores were revealed to put fake sale stickers on items to try and sell the idea of a more expensive black Friday. Which would have never happened pre-COVID.