A Slice of Pie…Wait, What?

Annie Clarke, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On January 24, VBCPS announced that they would start delivering weekly emails to subscribers about the happenings of Virginia Beach’s public schools. Emails will be delivered every Monday at noon. Senior Dawson Greene said, “The new newsletter really helps bring me up to date with what’s going on. I would recommend that everyone subscribe to it.”

Slice of Pie will feature human interest stories, videos, and photos from school events. The first issue included seniors that participated in National Signing Day on February 1, a feature about the 10th annual African American Male Summit at Princess Anne High School, and what seems like a column from Superintendent Aaron Spence called Indi-SPENCE-able News.

A Slice of Pie is one of many publications VBCPS conducts, such as the print newsletter Apple-A-Day and the division’s community blog, The Core.

“I love seeing the great things happening in Virginia Beach schools on the website and through social media,” said Alice Catherman, parent and president of the Virginia Beach Council of PTAs, in a press release.

“Now, to have such interesting and helpful information delivered straight to my email inbox helps keep me up to date and even more in the know with my children’s schools and the division,” Catherman said.

A popular trend nowadays is news publications making it easier for readers to get information. Snapchat has a news feed where multiple news publications list brief stories. Websites have also specialized in sending top news stories to subscribers’ emails. For example, a publication, called The Skimm, sends emails Monday through Friday to their subscribers giving brief national and global stories. Virginia Beach Public Schools has decided to get with the program and create weekly news publications that will be delivered to subscriber’s emails.

Visit www.vbschools.com/online_pubs/slice/subscribe/ to be included in the distribution list.