Students Face Off in the Kempsville Gaming Club

Pandora George, Staff Writer

Last October, Raoul Viel, a then sophomore, reached out to Liz Jones to create a new club that would bring students together over a similar interest: video games. Since then, the Kempsville Gaming Club has worked to achieve that goal.

Members meet on Mondays and Thursdays from 3:00-4:00 pm, and they play a variety of games such as “Super Smash Bros.” and “League of Legends.” This year, the club plans to expand their game selections.

“It’s pretty chill there. We’re all gamers gaming, you know?” said sophomore Fransisco Zenarolla referring to the club’s overall atmosphere.

The club holds the “Super Smash Bros.” Tournament as a weekly event hosted on the Nintendo Switch. Viel said, “On Thursdays, our main [activity] is [the tournament]… and that takes about until 5:30 for the whole thing to finish.”

These tournaments consist of one-on-one competitions in a tiered bracket format. Players battle until the top three are left. The remaining trio face off in a grand finale. This set-up allows players to show off their vast skill set.

For gamers who want a welcoming and competitive atmosphere, this club creates a great environment to do so. Those interested in joining the club can reach out to Jones at [email protected].