Emergency Learning Plan, Classes, and SOLs: Coronavirus Update

Sydney Haulenbeek, Editor in Chief

As the final semester begins VBCPS has switched from the first phase of their response to COVID-19’s closure of schools, Continuity of Learning, to phase two, or the Emergency Learning Plan. 

Continuity of Learning went from March 16 through April 24, following the closure of schools. Students were administered at least one assignment a week; however, they were not graded. Students were also able to improve their semester grades by completing make-up work and extra credit. 

Following Spring Break, which was April 13-17, the Emergency Learning Plan is in effect until the end of the school year on June 10. A new block schedule has been implemented for this plan. Mondays, now nicknamed “Moving Mondays,” are without classwork. On Tuesday, instructional hours for 1A go from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., and 2A 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. On Wednesday students have their 3A and 4A classes, during the same time slots as Tuesday. 1B and 2B classes will be available on Thursday, and 3B and 4B on Friday.  

VBCPS’ learning schedule for high school students.

Students will also no longer have graded assignments, and final grades will be calculated out of the first three marking periods.

While this may be surprising to some, these are different times, and they require different thinking,” the school system said in their disclosure of how the Emergency Learning Plan will operate. Students are still expected to submit at least one assignment a week but are supposed to be provided with a “choice board” or assignment options to choose from.  

VBCPS’ decision not to grade post-closure assignments also follows the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE)’s recommendation following the school closure. 

Report cards for the third marking period (new assignments for this marking period were suspended after March 13; however, students had the option to raise their grade through make-up work prior to Spring Break) will be distributed through ParentVue on April 29. 

Students in SOL classes who have not taken the SOL will not be expected to, instead all of the students with a passing grade will be given a “locally awarded verified credit” which will contribute towards their graduation requirement. Graduation is still yet to be determined, but Kempsville seniors can pick up their cap and gown at the Jostens office on April 22 from 12 to 3:30 p.m.

Class materials will continue to be distributed digitally, and largely through Schoology and Zoom. Anyone who doesn’t have internet access can fill out this form or contact VBCPS’ Department of Technology at (757) 263-1111  between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays.