Behind the Scenes at KHS

Sydney Haulenbeek

Students reviewing fundraising materials during a Behind the Scenes meeting on January 29, 2019.

Sydney Haulenbeek, Editor in Chief

Kempsville’s new club, Behind the Scenes, originated right before winter break and meets during the first half of One Lunch on Tuesdays in room 700. Their goal is to help students show appreciation to faculty members.

“I want them to understand,” Kourtney Ebeling, sophomore and president of Behind the Scenes, said of the student population. “A lot of behind the scenes staff, like the lunch ladies, [just] want respect and for students to understand [that] they’re just adults working, so there’s no need to be disrespectful towards them.”

But the purpose of Behind the Scenes?

“We like do special things for each staff,” said Ebeling.

Sydney Haulenbeek
Kourtney Ebeling, sophomore and president of Behind the Scenes, explaining fundraising material to club members.

Recently, Behind the Scenes has given thank you snowflakes to the main office and counselors, and they are coordinating an event for the custodians and security assistants and the cafeteria workers. They’re also currently fundraising for a staff party, and are planning a Valentine’s Day project for the librarians.

“We have a lot of things in motion,” said Ms. Zahr, a special education teacher, who sponsors the club.

“We want to give something back to them,” Ebeling said, “to [show] appreciation. And to get them to smile knowing that people here respect them and appreciate what they do. We want to do stuff for them since they do stuff for us in school.”