Power to the Seniors in Powderpuff 2018

The Senior class team in Powderpuff 2018.

Paxton Coley, Staff Writer

Powderpuff is a game of football which is very different from Kempsville’s other football games, as it uses teams made up only of girls, with guys taking on the role of cheerleaders. Kempsville High School played their annual game of Powderpuff on Thursday, December 6th, pitting the grades against each other in three games.

These games are shorted and consist of two, 15-minute halves, with 5-minute half-times. There can only be 8 players from each team on the 50-yard field at once.

The Freshman vs. Junior class game ended with Juniors 19 and Freshmen having 0, and the Sophomore vs. Senior class game ended Seniors 19 and Sophomores 0. Both of these games were long and tedious, as all of the teams had strong defenses. They all fought and played hard, but in the end, the upperclassmen won the preliminaries.

The final game of the night was the championship between the Juniors and Seniors, ultimately having the outcome of a Senior win with the points 14-12. The beginning of the game was fairly slow and brutal, leading to many tackles and at least one injury causing one of the players to be removed from the field. As one team got a touchdown, the other followed. When it came to the Juniors aiming for a 2-point conversion at the end, they fell short, landing the victory to the Seniors.