Kempsville Welcomes National School Counseling Week

Counselors provide countless services for students at Kempsville High School.

Sydney Haulenbeek, Business Manager and Staff Writer

Kempsville High School celebrated National School Counseling Week from February 5th to the 9th. In order to draw attention to school counselors and their availability to students, counselors explained their role in the building each day on the morning announcements.

“We want them [students] to know that our doors are always open. And not just about schedule changes, but also how to review your grade in a class, how to get organized – and not just in school but if you have a job outside of school. Social and emotional things like breakups and friendships – we are here for all of that, particularly mental health,” said Khia Evans, who counsels students at KHS.

Evans went through high school never knowing her counselor. She took a gap year, not sure what her options were, and joined the military. Afterwards, she attended college, where she realized her potential and options.

“I felt like it shouldn’t have taken that long. I feel like if I had someone talking to me when I was in high school, telling me ‘Hey, take your SATs’, ‘Hey, sign up for scholarships,’ ‘Hey, apply to colleges,’ I would have taken a different path in life,” Evans said.

Evans said one thing she wishes most for her students is self-advocacy.

“I want them to know what their options are. So take it upon yourself, advocate for yourself, walk down to the office, say ‘Hi, my name is [name], I’m a student [here], you are my counselor, what can you do for me?’” Evans said.

“Take that kind of attitude in your life. When you apply to colleges say: “Hey, I’m [name]. I’m a senior at [school name]. This is my GPA, this is my SAT score, what can your college do for me?” Evans advised.

In relationships, Evans offered similar advice. “Hi! I am educated, I am confident, what are you bringing to my life?”