KHS’ Opportunities for Volunteering

Students work with Mr. Krekorian to check the oysters on November 1, 2017.

Kara Cardinal, Staff Writer

Seniors can earn a special seal on their diploma by earning fifty hours of volunteering by the end of the year. There are many different ways a student can volunteer.

Environmental Club

One way for students to earn hours is through the Environmental Club. Paul Krekorian, a Biology and AP Environmental Science teacher, is the adviser. The club meets every first Wednesday of the month behind the gym.

The purpose of the Environmental Club is to increase environmental awareness. One thing the club does is the oyster restoration. The oyster restoration is at Hoffler Creek in Virginia Beach. During the oyster checks, you can earn four hours of volunteering.

In order to participate in the oyster check, students need a permission slip, which they can get from Krekorian. More information can be found with Paul Krekorian in room 405.

Another event that the Environmental Club does is the cell phone and ink cartridge collection at any time throughout the year.

Blood Drives

Students can also get volunteering hours through the blood drive. Senior Cate Sidwell has helped volunteer at the blood drive.

“It was good… but weird,” Sidwell said.

At the blood drive, volunteers first go up and give their names. A volunteer needs to have a blood test to make sure nothing is wrong, like iron deficiency or disease.

Once everything is sorted out, volunteers lay on a bed and give blood.

When they are done, they get a bottled water and either a cookie or crackers.

Other Volunteer Options

One other place to volunteer is at the SPCA. New volunteers at the SPCA help to clean the cages and swipe. There is very little contact with animals for new volunteers because new volunteers aren’t as experience so it is for the safety of the volunteer and the animals. Volunteers can find more information on volunteering with the SPCA on their website.

Another place to volunteer at is at elementary schools. At the elementary school, volunteers can help kids read and tutor them.

Every year in June, students can sign up for Clean the Bay Day, where volunteers go to different parts of the Chesapeake Bay to help clean up trash.