Standing in the Corner of Kempsville, Positivity

Xiaotong Ma, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Standing in the intersection of Kempsville and Providence is Kempville High School Senior Carson Heskett. Heskett stands around the corner of Kempsville holding signs with various different messages: ranging from “Leave Your Fears Behind” to “Believe In Yourself.”

According to Heskett, she was inspired to spread her messages because a friend inspired Heskett to not be sad all the time, and Heskett decided do something for people. “I decided this (spreading messages) is something I can do on a regular basis, and hopefully I can reach a lot of people. Heskett said.

Heskett began standing on the intersection holding signs last September. “The first day I did it, it was really weird and awkward,” Heskett said. “I felt like people were just going to laugh at me and wouldn’t understand what I was doing, but I realized if I get some music out here and dance along it would be okay.”

Heskett said there are still times when it is awkward. “The first fifteen minutes are always weird, but after that I just have a blast with it,” Heskett said.

According to Heskett, the intersection she stands on has taken on a life of its own. Heskett’s mother calls the corner “Carson Corner” and Heskett’s orthodontist made her 10 signs to hold.

“People have come up to me and told me they are really proud of me and said ‘I like the way you’re approaching this,’ and ‘thank you for what you’re doing,’” Heskett said.

Despite these positive feedbacks, not everyone in the community has been as accepting to Heskett’s messages.

“There are people who stop their cars and yell out me saying I shouldn’t believe in myself I should believe in Jesus Christ, and what I’m doing has nothing to do with this school,” Heskett said. “People said I shouldn’t be representing Kempsville in this way.”

Heskett said Principle William Harris personally thanked her for what she is doing, and if any situation ever came up that he would fully support what she was doing. Mr. Harris thanked Heskett for representing Kempsville in a positive way.

According to Heskett, some people take the “Believe In Yourself” sign as a stance on gay marriage, but Heskett clarifies that it has nothing to do with gay marriage. It is actually in reference to a quote in the movie Iron Giant, which Heskett’s mother strongly encouraged her to use.

“I have been flicked off a few times, but I just smile because I know they are the reason I’m out there,” Heskett said.

Heskett said she wants to see where all this takes her. “I would love for more to people to be involved,” Heskett said. “I also want to try to do an anti-bullying campaign at [Kempsville High] School, but my main focus is the whole anti-bullying. I just want to see where this takes me.”