Fighting Blood Cancers One Donation at a Time: Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Student of the Year

+%E2%80%9CI+think+this+gives+a+voice+to+the+students+who+want+to+represent+their+school+without+being+a+prom+queen.+I+want+everyone+in+Kempsville+to+feel+like+they+are+welcomed+into+our+competition%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Bridgham.

Jack Shupe

“I think this gives a voice to the students who want to represent their school without being a prom queen. I want everyone in Kempsville to feel like they are welcomed into our competition,” said Bridgham.

Jack Shupe, Staff Writer

Students at Kempsville High School may have noticed the event described on the morning announcements for each homeroom class. The homeroom that raises the most money for blood cancer research will receive a free Olive Garden lunch. This event was organized by sophomore student Alyzabeth Bridgham. 

“I got nominated through the school as the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Student of the Year,” said Bridgham. She was nominated by Academy Coordinator Meghan Timlin, along with two other students, “because we are hardworking, dedicated, and competitive students.”

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the “largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding research, finding cures and ensuring access to treatments for blood cancer patients,” according to the organization’s official website, lls.org.

In order to become the LLS Student of the Year, students are chosen from one of several schools and nominated to contend in a fundraising competition. Whoever raises the most money wins the title. Bridgham is currently running for LLS Student of the Year. “Our goal is $100,000,” she says.

“All of the money made goes toward blood cancer research,” Bridgham states, “and a lot of discoveries about other cancers actually comes from blood cancer research because it’s so common.”

When asked about her motivation for competing to be LLS Student of the Year, Bridgham says, “I’ve had a lot of family members with different types of cancers and I felt like that was my way of helping them indirectly.”

“A lot of this is pretty stressful. There’s a lot of nights where it’ll be eleven o’clock, and my mind will just be going crazy… but it’s really fun when you start to see the donations come in because you look at it and you say, ‘Wow! I raised that money for cancer patients.’”

The LLS Student of the Year club meets every Wednesday at noon in room 307A and is seeking donations from wherever possible to meet their goal. You can make a donation here.