New Security Changes Help Protect Students

Sydney Haulenbeek, Editor in Chief

Even as Kempsville High School and VBCPS continue to allow visitors, a new layer of front-desk security is still being added this year – a video intercom system. A silver box that contains a video camera, a buzzer and voice intercom has been installed in all VBCPS schools prior to the end of September and will give security the ability to see and hear visitors before permitting them entry. It will also take a photo of each person who visits.

Kempsville High School installed theirs over the summer and has been using it since then.

This decision adds to VBCPS’ visitor check-in policy, that began requiring photo ID last year as apart of its Safe School Policy. Visitors are also given a badge that they’re required to wear in the building.   

A sign displaying the instructions on how to enter the Kempsville Building on September 22, 2018.

And while some people may find the new changes inconvenient, Assistant Principal Brad Barbour says it has been very effective in keeping Kempsville safe.

“I know some parents may be upset about the new security measures…[but] before it was a free walk into the building during instructional hours; and now they have to buzz in. So security will actually get to put their eyes on them, and it (the camera) will take a picture of them when they come in the door,” Barbour said. “Now we do not have any open doors during instructional hours.”

“So, has it increased some frustration by parents? Yes. Has it increased the security of our building? Yes.”