Happy Retirement, Mr. Harris!

Sydney Haulenbeek, Business Manager and Staff Writer

As the 2017 – 2018 school year draws to an end, so does the time of Kempsville’s current Principal, William “Bill” Harris.

Harris came to Kempsville in 2012, replacing Evangeline Petrich. During his 6 years spent working at Kempsville, he has influenced many changes, including the expansion of Kempsville’s AP program, the rise of enrollment numbers, and the introduction of Kempsville’s Entrepreneurship and Business Academy.

“Mr. Harris is an amazing principal and I am so sad that this will be his last year serving as Principal of Kempsville High School. He really does care about this school and all of the kids that attend,” said Amarah Gray, the Senior Class President. “Being on his student advisory council, where we sat down to talk about the issues of Kempsville High and how to fix them, is just one way I know he wants Kempsville to be the best it can be. Although Kempsville still has more strides [to take] in order to reach its full potential, some of our biggest successes here at Kempsville would not have happened if it weren’t for Mr. Harris.”

Harris will be replaced by Assistant Principal Melissa George, who has been Assistant Principal since 2012.

He says that while he did not have a say in who was selected as the next principal, that he completely approves of George’s selection.

“I certainly have a great deal of confidence and respect for Ms. George’s abilities as an aspiring principal. I’ve seen her work firsthand for six years and she’s amazing,” Harris said.

Having accomplished all of his childhood goals, Harris is planning on moving to Florida after he leaves Kempsville.

“The rest of life has just sort of happened to me. We’re going to go down to Florida, and let life keep happening,” he said.

Melissa George and Bill Harris. (Photo via Alice Catherman at @ACatherman1 )