A Brand New Look: KHS’ Library Reopens After Remodeling

Sydney Haulenbeek, Business Manager and Staff Writer

The renovation of Kempsville High School’s library began on March 5, 2018, and reopened on May 9th. It was originally expected to be completed two weeks prior, but electrical problems caused the reopening to be delayed.

The opening was celebrated by librarians and students alike, with balloons decorating the scene and cookies being offered.

The renovation of Kempsville’s library isn’t the first. Virginia Beach Public Schools currently has the plans to renovate 16 different libraries, and Kempsville’s reno is only the 5th completed.   

“When I looked at the library, it wasn’t a reflection of the 21st century. I went to Kempsville, and it looked the exact same 20 years ago,” said Lori Todd, who is on the digital technology team and designed the initial blueprint for KHS’ new revised library.

“I really wanted to have the best library possible for our students. I wanted an open concept. I wanted more flexible seating; I wanted just to have the best use of space possible,” said Todd.

But while the new concept introduces more seating and open space, there seems to be a major change: fewer bookshelves.

“When I came to Kempsville four years ago, the reference section was already gone, and we have greatly weeded the books that we have. We have probably gotten rid of about 5,000 books in the past four years. Most of those books were nonfiction books that were completely outdated,” Todd said on the decrease of bookshelves. “Everything that we’ve gotten rid of was either outdated, held erroneous information, or had been used and abused. Because our collection had diminished, we didn’t need as much space for bookshelves…but the books are not going anywhere.”

Despite having fewer bookshelves, the numbers of books isn’t going to decrease. The library gains about a thousand books a school year, and librarians are constantly buying and adding new books – one of which is the brand new Rick Riordan novel.

The new renovation has also allowed for mobile bookshelves, that allow the librarians more freedom to shape the learning space for different teacher and student needs.

There has been a slight alteration of library policy as well. Students are still allowed to eat and drink in the library, but the librarians ask that they keep the drinks and food to the laminate flooring section, in order to preserve the new space as long as possible.

“It’s all about having the latest and greatest and making sure we have the best available books out there for our kids,” finished Todd. “As long as the students know that the library is their space, I’m happy with that.”