We love X’s and O’s: she loves X’s and Y’s

Enderiya Gooding, Staff Writer

Alina Dougherty, an enthusiastic, loving and kind-hearted math teacher at Kempsville, doesn’t have the simplistic life of a teacher. There were many ups in her life and many downs that could have been the end of her, but she fought hard and prevailed to be the teacher we see and love today.

Dougherty has been a teacher for 10 years, but this is her first year at KHS.

“I was at Azalea Gardens for 10 years. Its a middle school in Norfolk. I decided to come here because I live right around the corner and my son graduated from here, so I decided to be apart of the wonderful KHS community.”

Dougherty explains to us that this is one of the most welcoming communities there are in Virginia Beach.

“My favorite memory from here was when I first came the math department, everyone was so welcoming and the students are so kind. I love all my students,” Dougherty said.  

Being a math teacher hasn’t been easy, but Dougherty prevailed and became someone she despised as a kid.

“I always hated math as a kid, but I was good at it. As I got older I wanted to be that teacher that made kids love math,” Dougherty said.

However, just like any human, she faced many difficulties. Dougherty was 1 of 8 U.S. women with a breast cancer battle

“I am a proud breast cancer survivor and it has touched my life,” says Dougherty.

Donating is an everyday thing for Dougherty and it has been a life-changing experience.

“I donate to many different causes for cancer research, and the SPCA, the Purple Heart Foundation, and Wounded Warrior.”

Dougherty has been to 9 different universities and has her Master’s degree from Regent and her undergrad from the University of Maryland.

In Dougherty’s spare time she enjoys going outdoors and going to places with water.

Alina Dougherty is that one teacher who is always looking to help others. With her motherly voice and her amazing teaching skills, Dougherty is one of our proud KHS members and a great addition for the teachers of 2017 and many more years to come.